View West Central Missouri’s 2013 Youth of the Year Candidates [PHOTOS]
UPDATE: Congratulations to 14-year-old Cheyenne Anderson of Smithton, winner of the 2013 Youth of the Year Award. Cheyenne will move on to the state competition held in Jefferson City in early April.
Fifteen Boys & Girls Clubs of West Central Missouri members will compete for the local 2013 Youth of the Year Title on Jan. 24 at 6 p.m. at the Fox Theater in Sedalia, Mo.
Being named Youth of the Year is the highest honor a Boys & Girls Club member can receive. The Youth of the Year title recognizes outstanding contributions to a member’s family, school, community and Club, as well as personal challenges and obstacles overcome. Tupperware Brands awards each state winner a $1,000 college scholarship and each regional winner a $10,000 scholarship. The national winner receives an additional scholarship up to $50,000 from the Rick and Susan Goings Foundation.
The contestants will be evaluated by five judges:
- Commander Matt Wirt, Sedalia Police Department
- Dianne Simon, 2012 Pink Flamingo Award Winner, Property Manager at Thompson Hills Investment Group
- Senator Mike Parson, Majority Caucus Whip and 28th District Senator in the Missouri State Assembly
- Patty Wagenknecht, Owner, Wagenknecht Farms, LLC
- Dick Hutchison, President, La Monte Community Bank
Here are the 2013 candidates for the Boys and Girls Clubs of West Central Missouri's Youth of the Year:
Judges will select one winner for the Elementary Youth of the Year (members ages 8 – 13) and one for the Teen Youth of the Year (members ages 14 -18). The Teen Youth of the Year winner will advance to the state competition in early April.