Bothwell to Host Free ‘Chronic Disease Self-Management’ Program
Bothwell Regional Health Center will host a free “Chronic Disease Self-Management” program beginning in May.
The program is described as a multi-session program by the Pettis County University of Missouri Extension that can help participants maintain quality of life when facing chronic medical conditions.
There will be six sessions of the program, running from May 9 - June 13. The class will meet each Wednesday in the Bothwell Education Center, located at 600 E. 14th Street. Each session will be conducted from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
Some of the topics include:
· Techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, pain, and isolation
· Appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility, and endurance
· Appropriate use of medications
· Communicating effectively with family, friends, and health professionals
· How to evaluate new treatments
Nutrition and health education specialist for the Pettis County MU Extension, Melissa Cotton, said the program will offer practical ways to help people with chronic ailments. “This course will help people with chronic illness learn healthy ways to live with a disease,” Cotton said. “We hope to give them some skills to manage and overcome not just the physical problems that are part of a chronic illness, but the emotional struggles they also face.”
For more information and to register, call 827-0519.