Mathewson Exhibition Center Deemed Safe After Short Evacuation
The Missouri State Highway Patrol reported the Mathewson Exhibition Center was evacuated on Tuesday afternoon for a period of two hours.
According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol press release,
at approximately 2:48 p.m., Tuesday, August 12, 2014, the Missouri State Fair Fire Department and Missouri State Highway Patrol troopers responded to the Mathewson Exhibit Center regarding possible elevated Carbon Monoxide (CO) levels at an event.
Fire personnel and troopers evacuated the building following a carbon monoxide test. As a result, some individuals were evaluated at the scene for symptoms including nausea, drowsiness and headaches, which are often associated with elevated CO levels. One individual was transported to Bothwell Regional Healthcare Center in Sedalia, for further evaluation of symptoms.
“There was an event going on with some of the antique tractors,” said Missouri State Fair Director Tammie Nichols. “We’re assuming that’s how the elevated carbon monoxide numbers occurred.”
At 4:45 p.m. CO levels in the Mathewson Exhibit Center were determined to be safe and normal activities resumed.