Missouri State Fair Celebrates Youth in Agriculture this Saturday
The Missouri State Fair will celebrate Youth in Agriculture (YIA) Day, sponsored by the Missouri Department of Agriculture, this Saturday, August 20. The Sale of Champions auction, a highlight of the Fair for livestock exhibitors and enthusiasts, will be held at 1:30 p.m. in the Lowell Mohler Assembly Hall.
“The Missouri State Fair is the state’s premier showcase for agriculture,” Missouri State fair Director Mark Wolfe said. “Youth in Agriculture Day celebrates the achievements of our Missouri youth and recognizes them for their hard work to succeed in the agriculture industry.”
Through the generous support of YIA sponsors and funding from the Sale of Champions, the Missouri State Fair is able to award scholarships to Missouri youth pursuing degrees in an agriculture-related field. Last year, thirty $1,500 scholarships, one supreme $2,500 scholarship, sponsored by Sydenstricker John Deere of Missouri/Sydenstricker Angus Genetics and one $5,000 platinum scholarship, offered by YIA supporters, were awarded to youth across Missouri. Since 1992, 538 Missouri youth have received more than $505,000 in scholarships.
The following 12 lots will be offered in the Sale of Champions auction:
- Grand Champion Market Steer: Exhibited by Bryana Binkley of Jefferson City, daughter of Dale and Ronda Binkley.
- Reserve Grand Champion Market Steer: Exhibited by Layne Robinson of Chillicothe, son of Allen and Stephanie Robinson.
- Grand Champion Market Barrow: Exhibited by Cooper Sutter of Taylor, son of Roger and Dianne Sutter.
- Reserve Grand Champion Market Barrow: Exhibited by Carter Ward of Plattsburg, son of Jack and MaryAnn Ward.
- Grand Champion Market Lamb: Exhibited by Payton Dahmer of Nevada, son of Cory and Amy Dahmer.
- Reserve Grand Champion Market Lamb: Exhibited by Tyler Jenkins of Marshall, son of Susan Pointer and Terry Jenkins.
- Grand Champion Meat Goat: Exhibited by Hannah Viets of Sweet Springs, daughter of Mike and Brenda Viets.
- Reserve Grand Champion Meat Goat: Exhibited by Brylee Williams of Princeton, daughter of Bryan and Joni Williams.
- Grand Champion Pen of Chickens: Exhibited by Hayden Duncan of Centertown, son of Kevin and Diana Duncan.
- Reserve Grand Champion Pen of Chickens: Exhibited by Vivian Buie of Marshall, daughter of Dan and Rebecca Buie.
- Grand Champion Pen of Rabbits: Exhibited by Cole Hammett of Ashland, son of Nick and Rebekah Hammett.
- Reserve Grand Champion Pen of Rabbits: Exhibited by Gunnar Fisher of Verona, son of Devin Fisher and Shane Fisher.