Can You Eat the Most Marshmallows, Jalapeno’s?
For two years they tried to put on the Knob Noster Fair, only to have plans scuttled because of COVID-19. This year, it's back next Thursday through Saturday, June 9 through June 11.
The Fair has everything too including music, their 5K, and even a carnival. But one event stands out to me. The eating contest. Which is scheduled for the main stage after the grand parade at 8:00 PM Thursday.
There are eight different categories in the eating contest from the gross, to the obvious.
On the gross side, there's a grasshopper eating contest. And I'd argue the marshmallow eating contest is almost as gross. There's just something about the texture and the taste of marshmallows that just, eww.
On the obvious side is the hot dog eating contest. And the rest of the categories sort of fit somewhere on the scale between the two. That includes the cheeseball eating contest, a giant pickle eating contest, a jalapeno pepper eating contest, as well as two contests, which I would assume, are focused more on drinking something the fastest. One, who can gulp down a liter of soda, the other, who can down a Route 44 slush from Sonic.
They did miss one category in my opinion, the pie-eating contest. How can you forget the pie-eating contest? That's an American tradition right up there with hot dogs, and downing that liter of Coca-Cola. I did a pie-eating contest once, it was fun.
But I think I figured it out. The eating contests are really less for the contestant that wins and more for the amusement of the people watching it. I mean as much as I hate marshmallows, I've stuffed my face full of marshmallow peeps for the amusement of my radio audience. And it's funny. The cheeseballs will look damn funny too. And giant pickles, there might be a little X-rated humor associated with that. Don't lie, you thought the same thing.
More information and how you can enter the Knob Noster Fair's eating contest can be found on the Knob Noster Fair's Facebook Page. It is free to enter, and there are monetary prizes for first-place winners. And if you care to watch, it's happening on the main stage Thursday, June 9 after the Grand Parade.
Here's a partial rundown of some of the other things happening during the Knob Noster Fair this year:
- The Home Economics Show, Flower Show, and Art Show are being held at the First Christian Church. Viewing: 2:00 PM -6:00 PM Thursday, 12 Noon - 7:00 PM Friday, 10:00 AM -4:00 PM Saturday.
- Carnival 6:00 PM Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Wristbands $24.00
- Thursday, 7:15 PM the Grand Parade
- Thursday, 8:00 PM Eating Contest
- Friday, 7:00 PM Joyful Noise / Christian Music Night on the Main Stage
- Saturday, 6:30 AM 5K Registration / 7:30 AM 5K Race
- Saturday, 7:30 AM - 10:00 AM Methodist Church Pancake Breakfast
- Saturday, 9:00 AM -12:00 Noon Car Show
- Saturday, 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM Pig Catching / Dressing (North of Subway)
- Saturday, 6:00 PM - Little Miss/Mister Knob Noster PageantMain Stage
- Live Music after the pageant Manda Shea & The Sumpthin Brothers
The complete fair schedule and more information on all the activities happening can be found on the Knob Noster Fair Facebook Page.