It’s Official: Everyone’s Sick of Winter, Meteorologists Say
Even the National Weather Service is sick of winter.
The agency's Kansas City area office said in a tweet that "After a recent poll, stats confirm that 96% of our followers are tired of winter." It jokingly added that, "The other 4% are wrong."
Just over 29 inches (about 74 centimeters) of snow has fallen since November at the Kansas City International Airport. Meteorologist Jonathan Welsh says that's 10 inches (25.4 centimeters) more than fell over the past three winter seasons combined. None of those winters saw more than 8 inches (about 20 centimeters).
The last time there was more snow in the area was in 2012-2013, when accumulations totaled nearly 32 inches (about 81 centimeters).
Welsh says no additional snow is expected anytime soon in the area, although "we're certainly not out of the woods."