Girls State Comes To UCM
WARRENSBURG, MO (June 18, 2015) – The University of Central Missouri will host the annual Missouri Girls State, sponsored by the American Legion Auxiliary, June 21-27 on the university's Warrensburg campus.
More than 750 young women from across the state will attend, learning firsthand about government and leadership through participation in democracy in action.
Among the government leaders and officials who will address the Girls State citizens are:
- Former Missouri Gov. Bob Holden, who will open the 2015 session of Missouri Girls State on June 21.
- Catherine Hanaway, former speaker of the Missouri House of Representative and candidate for Missouri governor, and State Rep. John Wright, who will speak on Monday, June. 22.
- U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill and Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon, who will speak on June 23.
- Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster, who will speak in person, and Missouri Sen. Roy Blunt, who will speak via Skype, on June 24.
- Missouri Secretary of State Jason Kander and former U.S. Navy SEAL and motivational speaker Eric Greitens, who will speak on June 25.
The inauguration of the 2015 Missouri Girls State elected officers will take place Friday evening, followed by the closing assembly on Saturday, June 27.
(Courtesy of UCM)