Various Ramp Closures Scheduled at I-435 and I-70 Next Week as Crews Prepare to Open New Ramps
The Missouri Department of Transportation will have various ramp closures the week of Monday, July 27. Following these closures, crews will begin to open the NEW ramp from southbound I-435 to eastbound I-70 within the I-435 and I-70 partial turbine interchange. This is a new design and is the first of its kind in the Kansas City region. This design replaces the previous and less traditional left side exit ramps and will help improve safety and provide congestion relief at the interchange. All work and openings are weather permitting.
Monday, July 27
- The ramp from northbound I-435 to westbound I-70 will be CLOSED for pavement marking work OVERNIGHT on Monday, July 27 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. the following morning.
Tuesday, July 28
- The ramp from eastbound I-70 to southbound I-435 will be CLOSED for pavement marking work OVERNIGHT on Tuesday, July 28, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. the following morning.
- Once this work is completed (sometime early Wednesday, July 29), crews plan to OPEN the all new ramp from eastbound I-70 to Blue Ridge Cutoff. This ramp had been previously closed for construction work.
Wednesday, July 29
- The ramp from southbound I-435 to westbound I-70 and to U.S. 40 Highway will be CLOSED for pavement marking work OVERNIGHT on Wednesday, July 29, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. the following morning.
- Once this work is completed (sometime early Thursday, July 30), crews plan to OPEN the all new ramp from southbound I-435 to eastbound I-70, eastbound Blue Ridge Cutoff, and westbound I-70.
- Motorists traveling southbound on I-435 will be able to exit right to merge onto either direction of I-70.
- Westbound traffic will continue straight onto westbound I-70.
- Eastbound traffic will loop around the partial turbine design to merge onto eastbound I-70.
- Motorists will also be able to exit to eastbound Blue Ridge Cutoff.
Construction is still in progress for the I-70 loop ramps and the northbound I-435 bridges over I-70. This project began construction in spring 2019 and while the majority of construction is scheduled to be completed by this fall, motorists can expect to see various lane closures in the area through Dec. 2020. Project improvements include full bridge replacements, removal of left exits, improvements to loop ramp configuration, and congestion relief. For more information about this project, visit our website.
Please be patient and considerate to your fellow motorists. Use the zipper merge and take turns at merge points. Please remember that all work zones are NO PHONE ZONES. Buckle up. Phone down. Arrive Alive.