UPDATE: DOC has called off their search. Their dogs led us to West Country Club Estates where a perimeter was set up by PCSO, SPD, and MSHP. SPD utilized their drone to assist the literal army of DOC officers. Unfortunately, after hours of searching, the individual was not located. Remain vigilant, lock your doors, get your guns out of your vehicles if you are one to leave them in there, and call 911 if you become alarmed or have information. We will continue working this on our end first thing in the morning. Deputies have been instructed to conduct extra patrols in potential areas, according to Pettis County Sheriff Brad Anders.



UPDATE: "Please lock your vehicles and remove any and all firearms from those vehicles. Also, west Pettis (Walnut Hills area), you may see DOC dogs and officers tracking west," said Pettis County Sheriff Brad Anders.


UPDATE: DOC arrived on scene. K9 Cav tracked the suspect about half a mile west towards Walnut Hills before losing scent. Appears he may have had at least an hour and a half head start. The Pettis County Sheriff's Office was notified at 5:10 p.m. "Search on our end was initiated immediately," Sheriff Anders said. "Located evidence to suggest the suspect was westbound, believed to be on foot at least for a mile."


Jason M. Laird, 44, from the Gainsville, Mo., area, escaped while on Department Of Corrections work release at the Missouri State Fairgrounds around 4 p.m. Tuesday.

He was last seen in the outer campgrounds wearing a white T-shirt, gray pants and black boots. He was being housed at the Tipton Correctional Facility.

Laird is 5'03" and 160 pounds with brown hair and blue eyes.

Please contact 911 if located. Please do not approach Mr Laird.

The Ozark County man was sentenced to seven years in prison in 2020 in connection with 15 charges over six cases. He pleaded guilty to burglary, stealing firearms, tampering with a motor vehicle and stealing a motor vehicle.

Laird previously attempted to escape from the Ozark County detention facility.

He reportedly had over an hour head start before a search began for Laird on Tuesday afternoon.

More From AM 1050 KSIS