Sedalia’s Weekend Events: Weekend of May 23
Here's a look at some of the events going on in our area this weekend.
The Supportive Services for Veteran Families are having a Toiletry Drive and a Non Perishable Food Drive.
Missouri’s veterans need your support in meeting everyday needs. They need: toilet paper, shampoo and conditioner, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrushes, body soap, disposable razors, feminine hygiene products, shaving cream, baby wipes, and chapstick. The drop off location for these items will be the Sedalia Family Resource Center at 505 South Kentucky, Suite A. The SSVF will also have a food drive. Non perishable food like canned or boxed items, beans, spaghetti, rice, vegetables and pasta can be dropped off at the Bi-Lo Grocery Store and the Dollar General in Warrensburg. The items will be distributed at the SSVF Veteran Health Fair on June 20. For further information, call 660-886-7476 ext 853.
Registration is now open for State Fair Community College’s summer youth sports and cheerleading camps at the Fred E. Davis Multipurpose Center on the Sedalia campus.
Instructors will include the SFCC basketball coaching staff and student athletes, plus other college and high school coaches and athletes.
• Pee Wee basketball camp for boys and girls in grades Pre K-grade 3 (ages 4-8) will meet from 9-11:30 a.m. June 2-4. Cost is $50 per child on or before May 27, or $55 after that date. Children will learn the fundamentals of ball handling, including how to pass, dribble and catch a basketball.
• Lady Roadrunners girls basketball camp for grades 3-9 will meet from 9-11:30 a.m. June 9-12. Cost is $70. Emphasis will be on improving basketball fundamentals and having fun.
• Roadrunners basketball camp for grades 3-12 will meet from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 16-18. Cost is $95 per person. Emphasis will be on improving basketball skills and having fun. Campers will be organized into age groups.
• A shooting camp for boys and girls in grades 3-12 will meet from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 19 and 9 a.m. to noon June 20. Cost is $50. Campers will learn proper shooting form, and each camper will receive a personal shot evaluation to help improve shooting ability.
• The SFCC Spirit Squad will host a youth cheerleading camp from 1-4 p.m. June 30 to July 2 for students in grades K-8. Cost is $50. The camp will include individual instruction on cheerleading fundamentals, including cheers, dance, stunts, and stunt safety. Instructors will be Spirit Squad Coach Dana Page and current and former SFCC Spirit Squad members. Complete information and registration forms are available online at www.sfccmo.edu/sportscamp. Applications also may be picked up at the Davis Center office or at Pummill’s Sporting Goods and returned to State Fair Community College, Davis Multipurpose Center, 3201 W. 16th St., Sedalia, MO 65301. For more information, call Winnie Craig at (660) 530-5808 or (660) 596-7440, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mid America Freedom Rally will be held May 23-26.
The Mid America Freedom Rally XXVI is a 4 day Memorial Day Weekend Motorcycle Rally held in Buckhorn Missouri, exit 153 off I-44 at the Pulaski County Fort Leonard Wood Shrine park.The event officially opens the gates 23 May at 12 noon and runs until the morning of 26 May 2014. There will be 6 live bands, 2 each night, Fri, Sat and Sunday, 2 days of field events, a bike show, poker runs, Miss Freedom Rally and Best Buns Contest, and so much more. There is free tent camping and raw RV camping, Showers with HOT water, plenty of vendors for food and motorcycle items. For more info, go to www.midamericafreedomrally.com .
The 2nd annual Whiteman for Warriors 5k is Saturday May 24th.
It's located at Knob Noster High School at 504 S Washington Ave. Only $25 to register and all proceeds to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project. Visit www.whitemanforwarriors.com
Clinton Senior center will have a Memorial–Day Dance at the Center center this Saturday night, ( May 24th).
Dance is held from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. . The event is a usual Senior “type” dance – bring finger food, small charge. The Band performing is, THE COUNTRY ORDARAS. This is the band that will be performing at the Missouri state fair’s dance contest. The Clinton senior center has an excellent facility for dancing and a friendly crowd
Help support Voiture 333 40 & 8 to provide nursing scholarships and more with their Memorial Day Picnic.
The 40&8 will have a Memorial Day Picnic on May 26th from noon to 3:00 p.m. at the Liberty Park North Pavillion. On the menu will be hamburgers, hot dogs or polish sausage with baked beans, chips, dessert and a drink for a cost of $5 a person. Entertainment will be John Enzell, the Missouri State Fair Idol winner and Carnival Cruise Line entertainer. The funds raised will provide nursing scholarships, JROTC trophies and plaques, flags in Downtown Sedalia, flags for 1st Graders, Veterans Clinic, Warrensburg Veterans Home and other veterans associations. Bring your torn, battered, and faded flags for proper retirement at 11:30 a.m.
Have a great weekend!