I-70 Roadwork Expected to have Major Impact on Weekend Traffic
The Missouri Department of Transportation will have a complete closure of Interstate 70 in both directions between I-435 and I-470/Route 291 beginning Friday, June 8 at 10:00 p.m.
The road closure will remain in effect until approximately 5:00 a.m. on Monday, June 11. MoDOT says the closure is for the demolition of the Pittman Road, Crysler Avenue, and Phelps Road bridges over I-70.
The bridges will be demolished and rebuilt with an anticipated completion date of December 2018. MoDOT says the work will have major impacts to traffic. Motorists are reminded to follow the signed detour using I-470 and/or I-435, or find an alternate route. It was noted that all work is weather permitting.
The roadwork is outlined below:
- Eastbound I-70 will be reduced to one lane from Manchester Trafficway to Blue Ridge Cutoff. Any traffic that does not follow the detour onto southbound I-435 will be moved off at Blue Ridge Cutoff.
- Westbound I-70 will be reduced to one lane before the Route 291/I-470 interchange. All traffic will be routed onto southbound Route 291/I-470.
- Southbound Route 291 just north of I-70 will be reduced to one lane to accommodate merging traffic from westbound I-70.
Eastbound I-70 ramp closures include:
- Manchester Trafficway to eastbound I-70.
- Northbound and southbound I-435 ramps to eastbound I-70.
- Blue Ridge Cutoff ramp to eastbound I-70.
- Highway 40 ramp to eastbound I-70.
- Blue Ridge Blvd. Ramp to eastbound I-70.
- Noland Road ramp to eastbound I-70.
Westbound I-70 ramp closures include:
- Northbound and southbound I-470/Route 291 ramps to westbound I-70.
- Lee’s Summit Road ramp to westbound I-70.
- Noland Road ramp to westbound I-70.
- Highway 40 ramp to westbound I-70.
MoDOT reminds all motorists to use the zipper merge and take turns at the merge point.
More information and roadwork maps can be found at modot.org.