Behka’s Enquiring Minds: Three Day Weekends [SURVEY]
We've got two three day weekends coming up November — and most successful people have planned out (or at least thought about) what they'll do over those three days.
Planning ahead for a three day weekend is important because you don't want to squander the relatively rare opportunity to decompress from the office. And apparently successful people like to make sure they burn off their steam from the week by getting the most out of their three day weekend.
Here are 12 things successful people do over three-day weekends:
1. They prepare at work. This includes saying proper goodbyes to colleagues, cleaning up their office, finishing any pressing tasks, and creating a clear plan of action for when they return on Tuesday morning so they can hit the ground running.
2. They plan ahead. Many successful people plan out their activities for the holiday weekend well in advance so that they are not drawn into the temptation of working, Kerr says.
3. They set technology guidelines. Successful people set email and phone rules for themselves and the people they work with, so that people understand when, if at all, they will be available to respond or pick up.
4. They do a little bit of nothing. Having a little bit of unscheduled "anything" time is always great for unwinding.
5. They spend time with family and friends. During the week, it's hard to give focused attention to those you care about.
6. They volunteer. Many successful people find giving their time to worthy charitable groups or causes to be extremely rewarding.
7. They plan "staycations." Staycations hold the appeal of still allowing for a complete mental break but without the added stress or planning involved in a trip somewhere away, wherein people run the risk of returning to work more exhausted than when they left. Another good option: Taking a short trip to a destination that only an hour or two away. This is a great way to visit a new place, but doesn't require too much travel or planning.
8. They get outdoors and enjoy nature. A long weekend is the perfect time to get outside and breathe fresh air, especially after being relatively sequestered inside all week.
9. They exercise. Successful people understand how important exercise is to their physical and mental health — so they don't get lazy and skip their workouts over holiday weekends.
10. They engage in an activity that supports their passion. This is a great time to unwind with your favorite pastime or hobby, whether it's shopping, golfing, socializing, reading, painting, or something else.
11. They sometimes switch days off. Some successful people will take a different day off instead, and go in to work on the vacation day when they have the office to the themselves and can get more work done without being distracted.
12. They think ahead. On the last night of long weekend, many successful people think about the short week ahead and key goals they need to accomplish. And they do this without stressing themselves out.
I might be a little bit in disagreement with those twelve things, but then, I am lazy, and that's probably explaining a lot right now. Yes, it’s only Tuesday, but it’s never too soon to start looking forward to the weekend. With that said, what’s the better day to have off for a three-day weekend – Friday or Monday? What are the pros and cons of each? Let me know what you think in our survey and I'll share your answers on the air!