Here are your Sedalia Police crime reports and Missouri State Highway Patrol accident reports for the afternoon of October 12, 2012.


Sexual assault in the area of 7th and Washington investigation is ongoing

Just before 5 o’clock this (Friday) morning, Sedalia police responded to the Bothwell Regional Health Center on a reported sexual assault.  According to the female victim, the assault took place in the area of 7th and Washington.  There was no information on a possible suspect, but the police report states the investigation is ongoing in the incident.


Drugs and paraphernalia found during a vehicle search Thursday morning

At 8:39 Thursday morning, Sedalia police searched a vehicle in the 4700 block of South Limit during an investigation into an unrelated case. During the search, officers found a small amount of methamphetamine in a baggie along with an item of drug paraphernalia. The police report states an investigation continues into the case at news time.


Lafayette County accident seriously injures an Illinois man

Around 4 o’clock Thursday morning, the Missouri State Highway Patrol reported a two-vehicle accident on I-70 at mile marker 49.8 in Lafayette County. According to the accident report, the accident happened as the 2003 Freightliner driven by 51-year-old Cesar Benitez of Overland Park, Kansas was stopped in the left lane, when the 2013 Dodge driven by 27-year-old Brett Shamblin of Champagne, Illinois overtook it from the right lane, impacting the trailer of the rig. After the impact the Shamblin vehicle traveled off the roadway. Shamblin received serious injuries and was taken to Centerpoint Hospital by Life Flight for treatment.


One-vehicle accident in in Lafayette County injures a Higginsville

At 11:30 Thursday morning, the Missouri State Highway patrol reported a one-vehicle injury accident on Westbound I-70 at mile marker 46. The accident reportedly occurred when the driver of a 2006 Mercury, 44-year-old Victoria Highfill of Higginsville, ran off the roadway twice and overturned. Highfill received moderate injuries, and was taken by ambulance to Centerpoint Hospital for treatment.